Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gimghoul Castle


Both DH and I attended UNC-Chapel Hill as undergraduates, and DH also attended medical school there. Chapel Hill is an hour away from our farm and we visit from time to time. It's a beautiful place.

There is a most interesting building in Chapel Hill called Gimghoul Castle. The castle and even its site is surrounded by much mystery, including the story of a fatal duel between students that occurred in the university's early days, and a secret society called the Order of Gimghoul which continues to this day.

The castle, which was built in the 1920's, is located at the end of the same road where lives the twin sisters who created this beautiful garden.

Before this past spring I had not seen Gimghoul Castle in many years because of a no trespassing sign at the head of the driveway. There's still a no trespassing sign but now it's tacked to a tree in front of the castle. So people can now see the castle but not get close enough to peer into the windows. :)


Isn't it amazing? A castle, right next to the UNC campus, in Battle Woods.

The use of evergreens around the building is genius.




I like the juxtaposition of the dogwood and castle walls too.


While we were on Gimghoul Road we of course visited the sisters' garden. More on that later!


19 comments:

  1. Amazing it is! Could be the set for Merlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how ordinary plants and trees become so mysterious and eerie in that setting. The dogwood looks like it is guarding the ramparts, and the others look greenly ominous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fairytale setting in the mysterious trees. Does a sleeping beauty lie there? How enchanting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen, and your gorgeous photos show it off to perfection.
    It's absolutely glorious surrounded as it is by the fantastic trees and shrubs. Romantic and mysterious!
    Thanks so much for sharing this amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is truly a beautiful, ancient looking castle. I love the romantic, mysterious setting. I'm looking forward to seeing the sister' garden.

    Have a lovely Christmas ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enchanting! I love the Kousa Dogwood too! If a person builds such a place they cannot hope to keep it totally private. Incredible stonework. Happy Solstice to you Sweetbay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this! It's too bad they won't let you trespass. Or... have you? ;>) My favorite snowshoe trail around these parts is the No Trespassing! trail. We're greeted by a giant sign but we just walk on by...

    Happy Holidays, Sweetbay! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is incredibly lovely and really makes my imagination soar. Children would love this too.

    I would love to visit there.

    All joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, it is just FABULOUS Sweet Bay. A place to let your imagination run away. If I were going to school there, I'd probably want to walk by every single day. I'm glad the sign was moved back so you could photograph it. and I remember your post on the sisters garden. It was equally lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it is amazing. Great story too. Glad you got photos of it now. Is it inhabited?~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee ~ from what I've read, the Order of Gimghoul owns the castle and a caretaker lives there. Lucky caretaker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even the name sounds eerily enchanting. What an intriguing enigmatic place. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at the pictures, I would have never guessed that they were taken in North Carolina. It looks like a cool place, and it's a shame you couldn't sneak inside. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. A fairy princess castle! Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope that you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This does look like something out of King Arthur! I was half-expecting a knight or long-haired maiden to walk out at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, this takes me back to my European Castle days....

    Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning, mysterious, romantic, the stuff of novels! Who lives here now? I think my absolute dream home would look like this. But mine would have a welcome, rather than a no-trespassing sign!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweetbay, I love this post and the photos are fantastic~I would so like to get closer and peak in the windows! gail

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...