Tuesday, September 2, 2014

If you like pink


then this post is for you!


Pink everywhere! August is the month for seashore mallow and at the beginning of September they are still in full bloom. If any white ones are left (same species, different color) they will begin blooming later this month.

After an amazingly cool week (in the 70s! with low humidity!), both the humidity and the temps have risen again. We're expecting mid 90s today and are in need of rain, so I've been watering. Seashore mallow need a rich diet to attain their full size and plenty of water or they will turn into brown potato chips. They are worth it though.


The bees agree. Every morning dozens of little bumblebees forage among the pink flowers. The garden sounds like a giant hive. The vast majority of the seashore mallow, if not all, originate from packs of seeds from the NC Botanical Garden. Seashore Mallow is easy to start from seed; no pretreatment is needed and all the seed requires is heat in order to germinate.







The white flowers are those of Hibiscus coccineus alba. As much as I love the red hibiscus for its flashiness and vigor (it has seeded itself all down the ditch behind the big bed and next to the old house site), I love the white hibiscus even more.







7 comments:

  1. So pretty! I'd never heard of seashore mallow so I had to look it up on-line (it isn't in my western garden guide). It appears that it could handle my zone 10b temperatures but its water needs probably put it off limits. Darn! I love bee magnets but I guess I'll have to stick to Cuphea 'Starfire Pink.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! They are so pretty and prolific. Wonderful that they grow from seeds.

    It was good to see a post from you. You came to mind in the last day or so as I've not seen any posts of your wonderful place, I was wondering how you are doing and here is a post from you.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hibiscus is a beauty and your large planting of the Seashore Mallow is amazing. Hope the low humidity returns--that was a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love pink in the garden, and these swaths of pink mallow are lovely. I wasn't familiar with seashore mallow, so I looked it up. I was surprised to see it's hardy to my zone 5b, but, while it might have done well during this wet summer, with my neglect it would probably turn into those brown potato chips most years:) Gorgeous white hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The seashore mallow is so pretty in your garden and it is great, that it is a food source for pollinators! I am always impressed by the woodlands that are surrounding your garden. They give it so much tranquility and depth. The white hibiscus is very lovely indeed! Wishing you a nice rest of the week!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pink in the garden! Your mallow is very pretty and seems to like your garden considering how much you have. Your white Hibiscus is very delicate looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pink! well in the garden anyway. I rather think it should stay out of my wardrobe but that's another matter. Your mallow is gorgeous in masses like that. Perfect flower for a late summer day.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...